The Alaska Avalanche School is a not for profit 501(c)3 corporation based in Anchorage, Alaska and is currently seeking an Executive Director.
The Alaska Avalanche School (AAS) has been providing exceptional education about avalanches, avalanche hazard, and avalanche rescue for over 35 years. The mission of the Alaska Avalanche School is “to provide exceptional experienced-based snow and avalanche education to all users of the mountain environment”. Each season, AAS teaches approximately 1200 students, youth and adults, with an independent curriculum that meets all American Avalanche Association guidelines.
AAS pioneered avalanche education in Alaska 35 years ago and is one of the most respected independent avalanche schools in the U.S. The development and growth of AAS is by no means complete. On-going school projects include continuing emphasis on improving instructor excellence and retention, continued curriculum development, seeking and securing additional funding, and broadening the AAS audience in pursuit of the mission.
October 1 through April 15: Full time
An average work week is 40 hours
April 16 through September 30: Part time
$26,000 for the full time portion of the contract (Oct 1-April 15)
$25 per hour for the part time portion of the contract (April 16-Sept 30)
The Executive Director has the following attributes and skill sets:
· Strong interpersonal communication skills.
· Effective written communication skills.
· An extensive background in the avalanche industry. This could be from a recreational, industry, forecasting, or educational perspective.
· An educational background. This could be as a teacher, an educational trainer or administrator, or a seasoned outdoor instructor.
· A current and active connection to the Alaska avalanche community is desirable.
· Business experience including a familiarity with accounting principles.
· Computer skills including familiarity with word processing, spread sheets, desktop publishing, website & social media management and network data sharing.
· Public Relations experience.
· Professional membership in the American Avalanche Association
· Business Management
· Program and product management
· Community Relations
· Personnel / HR
· Board Relations
Preliminary interviews will commence upon receipt of qualified applications. Applications accepted now through 2/28/13 only.
Please contact AAS via phone or email, 907-345-0878, email@example.com